The US President also privately expressed concerns that his advisers were trying to steer him into a war with Iran. US officials said on Thursday that Trump had told his advisers, including his defence secretary Patrick Shanahan that he did not want to go to war with Iran. At a realtor’s convention in Washington, Trump said: ”They (the news media) put out messages that I’m angry with my people. I’m not angry with my people. I make my own decisions.”
He also specifically gave a statement supporting his White House national security adviser John Bolton and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.
He said: “Mike Pompeo is doing a great job. Bolton is doing a great job.”
During his 2016 presidential campaign Trump said he would avoid getting involved in foreign conflict after saying he viewed the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq as costly.
However, he also said he will do what it takes to protect US interests abroad.
The recent deployment of a US aircraft carrier group has raised tensions in the Gulf region, sparking fears of armed conflict.
Trump has also approved sanctions against Tehran recently which are aimed at crippling the Iranian economy, forcing leaders to negotiate.
The US has stated it wants Iran to give up its nuclear and ballistic missile programs which it believes are destabilising the Middle East.
Last year, Mr Pompeo laid out a lengthy list of demands on Iran which critics inside and outside Tehran said showed he was pushing for regime change.
Mr Bolton has also pushed getting “tough” with Iran, wanting a hard line inside the administration since joining the White House over a year ago.
Trump also told reporters that while he has been tough on Iran, he sometimes has to “temper” Mr Bolton.
A senior administration official said: “We are all frustrated with this notion that we are escalating, that we are seeking conflict.
“Nothing could be further from the truth. We are seeking de-escalation.”
The official also responded to the notion of Mr Bolton and Mr Pompeo trying to “herd” Trump towards a path of war.
He added: “Herding Trump down any path is an unsuccessful strategy. There are many witnesses to that.”
However, the commander-in-chief of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Major General Hossein Salam has sent a direct threat to the US by stating the Persian Gulf nation was ready for “full-scale confrontation with the enemy”.
He said: “This is the most decisive moment for the Islamic Revolution, because the enemy has come to the battlefield with all of its capacities at its disposal.”